Research Specialist Crop Sciences College of Agricultural,Consumer and Environmental Sciences University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
WE TRANSFORM LIVES.
Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders in a way that empowers them to expand the boundaries of science to higher levels of understanding and influence. The Department of Crop Sciences within the College of Consumer, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences offers world-class laboratory, greenhouse, and field research facilities as well as state of the art teaching facilities. The University of Illinois also offers outstanding facilities in computing, data science, and genomic analysis as well as many other areas of potential support.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO
PRIMARY FUNCTION The qualified candidate will conduct field research on regenerative agriculture practices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Independently conduct and coordinate field research
- Collect plant, soil, and water measurements from field sites in the eastern US as part of a multi-investigator team investigating ecosystem services of diversified cropping systems. This typically involves operation of trucks, hydraulic soil probes, hedge trimmers, GPS systems and other specialized equipment.
- Conduct and/or oversee processing of all samples in field and laboratory, typically involving drying, grinding, and preparing samples for elemental analysis
- Curate, analyze, visualize, and communicate data and results, typically using R or similar software
- Supervise undergraduate employees in the lab and field by providing training, assigning tasks, and evaluating work.
- Coordinate with graduate students, program staff, farm managers, and cooperators as needed to carry out research.
Coordinate and support laboratory research projects
- Collect and process routine data on plant productivity (e.g., biomass, leaf area, phenology) throughout the growing season in coordination with a diverse research team.
- Collect and process other field and greenhouse data as needed.
- Curate, archive, and share data in accordance with established data management policies.
- Use Microsoft programs, R and GIS software to curate, visualize, analyze, and communicate data.
- Support postdoc and graduate student research activities as needed
- Ensure research equipment and facilities are maintained in good operating order.
- Order supplies, as needed.
- Develop calendar of activities and timeline to match resources to operations throughout the growing season.
- Participate in regular team meetings.
Communicate findings through academic, extension and multi-media outlets
- Develop short written and visual communications about lab findings as part of the extension program in biomass crops and regenerative agriculture.
- Support undergraduates, graduates, and postdocs in developing short, useful extension communication pieces.
- Contribute to academic journal articles, with opportunity for leadership as appropriate.
EDUCATION Required: BS in science related field Preferred: MS or PhD
EXPERIENCE Required: Two or more years' experience with field research and data management One or more years' experience managing personnel One or more years' experience working independently Preferred: Three or more years' experience organizing, conducting, and supporting field research that results in scientific publications; data management and visualization, collaboration in team projects; communicating information to partners and stakeholders.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES Required: Ability to operate a motor vehicle and experience with specialized farm equipment. Have word processing, and spreadsheet proficiency; excellent organization and time management skills, inclusive interpersonal skills; excellent communication skills; and ability and desire to learn new skills. Demonstrated record of excellent oral and written communication skills. Preferred: Knowledge of data visualization, data analysis, R programming, photosynthetic gas exchange measurement and analysis, elemental composition analysis, GIS visualization, spatial analysis, ecosystem service measurements, and ecosystem modeling.
SALARY Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
APPOINTMENT INFORMATION This is a 100% full-time Academic Professional position, appointed on a 12-month basis.
PROPOSED STARTING DATE This position is available as soon as possible after the closing date.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES & DEADLINE INFORMATION Please upload a cover letter indicating your qualifications, resume, and contact information for three professional references by May 24 2023. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Applications must be received by 7:00 pm (CDT) on June 14, 2023(extended closing date). Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Emily Heaton at email@example.com For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requisition ID: 1017032 Job Category: Research Apply at: https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=4199167&targetURL=.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has earned a reputation as a world-class leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. With our land-grant heritage as our foundation, we pioneer innovative research that tackles global problems and expands the human experience. Our transformative learning experiences, in and out of the classroom, are designed to produce innovative alumni who desire to make a significant, societal impact.