Under the direction of the Parks and Recreation Director, the Parks Manager supervises, plans, organizes, and performs skilled labor involved in parks, trails, open space, and recreation activities to ensure safe, clean, aesthetically pleasing and environmentally well-maintained infrastructure and amenities in Manitou Springs.
• Directs the work activities of assigned maintenance personnel; supervises multiple crews, coordinates work assignments, reviews work for accuracy, and establishes, reviews, and modifies work schedules for assigned maintenance, construction, and repair activities; meets daily with crews to review schedules, identifies, and prioritize situations and review progress of existing projects or assignments.
• Participates in the selection of assigned personnel; conducts performance assessments of assigned personnel, provides and coordinates staff training and development, implements necessary training activities, and approves and evaluates effectiveness of training programs.
• Inspects right of way, drainage systems, trees and plants, parks, trails, and open spaces for needed work, improvements, and repairs; conducts inspections and monitors compliance with procedures and methods.
• Coordinates staff and equipment usage with other crew supervisors, managers, or other departments; maintains inventory of parts and supplies and replenishes supplies when necessary; maintains detailed records on tools, material and equipment used.
• Supervises and operates various hand and power tools, small equipment, and heavy construction equipment in the performance of assigned functions.
• Maintains necessary logs; maintains records of all maintenance performed on equipment and ensures tracking of chemicals and other substances.
• Performs chemical application on trees, shrubs, open space, natural areas, shrub and mulched beds, and turf areas; uses high pressured spray equipment and hand sprayers; conducts planting, pruning, health evaluation of plants and shrubs.
• Installs, inspects, and repairs irrigation systems related to horticulture and trees; aerates and seeds turf areas and open space land.
• Supervises various crews performing a variety of snow removal activities; ensures efficient snow removal activities; performs snow removal and management tasks and operates all equipment adhering to safety protocols and standards.
• Provides customer service to staff and the public in person, on the telephone, and through email; responds to and resolves questions ensuring customer satisfaction.
• Assists in the preparation and administration of the Parks operating budget; submits budget recommendations; monitors budget to ensure effective expenditure of allocated funds; authorizes purchase of supplies, materials, and equipment; prepares and processes purchase invoices or requisitions.
• Manages service contracts for tree maintenance, organic land management applications, gardening services, among other professional services.
• Performs all other work as needed or assigned.