The Senior Landman is responsible for coordinating V-F Petroleum Inc.’s land activities in the Permian Basin, principally New Mexico.
This is a visible position with regular interface with V-F’s leadership teams.
The tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the position:
1. Preparation of oil and gas leases and assignments of oil and gas leases;
2. Interpret and negotiate various contracts including joint operating agreements, pooling agreements, farmout agreements, exploration agreements, purchase and sale agreements, oil and gas leases, surface use agreements, right-of-way agreements, etc.;
3. Research local county property records to determine the mineral ownership for tracts of land;
4. Order title opinions and lease takeoffs as necessary and supervise analysis and title curative measures;
5. Responsible for maintenance and integration of land records system of V-F and affiliated companies;
6. Provide guidance to land support staff (coordinators & assistants);
7. Interact with and provide operations and geoscience groups with land support and information;
8. Scout, research, track and report various transactions, permitting, and well results throughout the Permian Basin;
9. Conduct due diligence in connection with acquisitions of producing and non-producing properties;
10. Understand the legal and regulatory (NMOCD, SLO and BLM) framework of New Mexico and Texas in order to administer various contracts, and
11. Work with legal counsel when necessary in preparation of complex and non-standard types of contracts.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
1. Mature and confident with the ability to understand and analyze complex strategic, financial, and land technical issues and then communicate those issues to others so they are easily understood;
2. A well-rounded, take charge landman with good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization;
3. An individual who demonstrates honesty and integrity as daily values, and
4. Superior interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
This position will likely have at least one direct report with possibility to grow the team.
The environment in which the job is performed:
1. Consistent with that of a normal office environment, and
2. Travel is required in order to establish and maintain external relationships (approximately 15 %).
The minimum level of education, experience, and certifications required to perform the job:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Energy Management/PLM strongly desired, and
2. Minimum of 5 years of related experience in the oil and gas exploration and production industry that includes significant experience in the Permian basin, specifically New Mexico.